Veteran Affairs
Skip navigation links
Skip navigation links
CommissionersExpand Commissioners
Children & Youth Services
Clerk of Courts / Prothonotary
Conservation DistrictExpand Conservation District
District Attorney & Victim Services
Elections & Voter Registration
Emergency Services / 911 Center
Historical Society
Planning Commission
Register of Wills / Recorder of Deeds
Tax Assessment
Tax Claim Bureau
Snyder-Union County GIS
State Police
Veteran's Affairs
Veteran Affairs
Snyder County > Departments > Veteran Affairs

 General Information


We assist veterans, widows and dependent children in obtaining benefits that are available from the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, as well as Snyder County.

We are advocates for veterans, employed by Snyder County, who represent veterans’ interests. We are not affiliated with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs but we work closely with them to obtain benefits for our veterans and their surviving spouses. We also assist veterans and their surviving spouses obtain benefits from the State and the County.

The Snyder County Veterans Affairs office discusses and submits applications for all related benefits to which veterans and their dependents may be entitled, such as:

  • Compensation and Pension
  • Hospitalization and Out-patient Care
  • Education
  • Home Loans
  • Insurance
  • Special Housing and Automobile grants

We have other benefits too numerous to mention that are provided by the VA or other Federal, State, County, or local agencies or organizations. This department also refers the County's veterans and dependents to other Federal, State, County, or other agencies and organizations that might further assist them in solving their problems or answering their questions



 Contact Information

Veterans Affairs Director
Office of Veterans Affairs
Snyder County East Building
713 Bridge St Suite #10
Selinsgrove, PA 17870
Phone (570) 374-0181
Fax (570) 374-2330
Hours of Operation
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 8:30am - 4:00pm
Tuesday 9:30am - 4:00pm
Please call for an appointment.

 Internal Links


 External Links


 State Benefits


The following are provided by the PA Department of Veterans Affairs. The Snyder County Department of Veterans Services renders assistance in applying for the benefits.

Veterans Emergency Assistance
Provides aid for food, clothing, shelter on a temporary basis (not to exceed three months). Based on house-hold income. Must be Honorably Discharged, Wartime Veteran not in receipt of Public Assistance (Welfare).

Real Property Tax Exemption
Honorably Discharged; Wartime Veterans having a 100 Service-Connected Disability can be exempt from payment of Real Property Taxes on their principle residence. Based on financial need.

Widow's Real Property Tax Exemption
Widows of Honorably Discharged, Wartime Veterans who died of a Service-Connected Disability and if the veteran would have been eligible for exemption, may also be eligible for Real Property Tax Exemption on their principle residence. Based on financial need.

Educational Gratuity
Children of Honorably discharged, Wartime Veterans who are totally disabled from Service-Connected Disability, may received and educational Gratuity while attending any state or state-aided college or other secondary institution. Financial need must be shown and the student must be between the ages of 16 and 21.

Blind Veterans Pension
$100.00 per month for any Service-Connected Disease or Injury incurred while on active duty, which resulted in blindness or visual impairment of 3/60, 10/200 or less normal vision. Veterans must have given Pennsylvania as the place of Residence at the time entering service.

Paralyzed Veterans Pension
$100.00 per month for any veteran Service-Connected for any injury or disease resulting in the loss or loss of the use of two or more extremities during wartime or as a result of hostilities during Combat-Related Action peace time. Must have given Pennsylvania as the place of residence at the time entering service and currently reside in Pennsylvania.

Scotland School for Veterans Children
Child must be between the ages of 6 and 13 to be admitted. Kindergarten thru High School. Further information can be obtained from Jerry Stewart, Director of Admission, Scotland School for Veterans Children, (717) 264-7187, Extension 699.

State Veterans Homes
The Commonwealth maintains veterans homes in the following areas:

Holidaysburg, PA 16648(Altoona, Area)
(816) 696-5201
Erie, PA 16512
Phone (814) 871-4531
Spring City, PA 19475
Phone (610) 948-2400
Scranton, PA 18503
Phone (570) 961-4300
Southwest Veterans Center
7060 Highland Drive,
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Phone (412) 665-6706
Route 1 and Southhampton Road
Northeast Philadelphia
(717) 861-8338

Birth and Death Records
Certified copies of birth and death records are issued without cost to veterans and their dependents by the Division of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 1528, 101 South Mercer Street, New Castle, PA 16103, (412) 656-3100.

Disabled Veterans Vehicle Registration
Totally Disabled, Service-Connected Veterans are not charged a fee for Titling and Registration of a motor vehicle. Only one vehicle shall be registered for a veteran. Based on Wartime Service. A $10.00 processing fee shall be charged for wartime veterans who lost a limb or eye or who became partially paralyzed as a result of such service. All other Non-Totally Disabled Veterans having Service-Connected Disabilities pay the regular $24.00 registration fee. The disabled veteran license plate is not the same as the handicapped plate.

Parking Placard
No fee is charged totally Disabled Veterans, having a Service-Connected Disability, for the disabled veteran parking placard. Vehicles having a properly displayed placard qualify for parking in areas designated to use for Handicapped Persons.